Product Engineer I
Job Title: Product Engineer I
Objective of the Position: This position designs, validates and ensures designs are manufactured, cost effective and meets all internal and external targets. This acts as a point of contact with customer engineering, thus coordinating customer specifications, design, testing and prototype activities. Also leads the product development team for program assigned to including CAD/CAE/Validation and interface with cross functional company teams to fulfill Gate requirements and Program Development cycles.
Essential Accountabilities: The position incumbent ensures, that
- Approval of prototype content variation
- Approve supplier and plant deviations
- Checking and release of math models and drawings
- Coordinate development process with customer engineering team
- Creation and management of design workload on program
- Creation and release of prototype work orders
- Decisions in RFQ’ phase regarding design and BOM content at an appropriate level of fidelity and risk to support RFQ quoting process
- Design decisions during development phase in regards to functional objectives and target setting
- General and design detailed decisions that impact cost, weight, manufacturing and function of the components, subsystems and assemblies
- Maintain key development APQP documents
- Manage ED&D work per program budget
- Manage test scheduling and part delivery with customer timeline
- Prioritize design work within assigned project
- Provide engineering feedback to other company departments on potential changes
- Responsible over final release of technical drawings and math models
Secondary Accountabilities: The position incumbent ensures, that
- Conduct all business related activities for, and on the behalf of, Eberspaecher within the limits of applicable local, state, and federal legal requirements.
- Provide support to, and compliance with, all local and corporate Eberspaecher Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) policies, procedures and other HSE related requirements.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and follows all company polices related to TS16949 and ISO 14001; looks for way to improve and promote quality.
- Other duties as assigned.
Professional Background / Basic Qualification / Work Experience:
- Bachelor' s degree (B. A.) in Engineering or closely related field.
- Minimum two years’ experience in engineering role working for a manufacturing supplier preferably automotive.
- Prior experience with heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Education in APQP, GD&T, DFMEA and drawing release experience
- Ability to travel domestically by car or plane.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports, statements and projections.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts and operations, including calculations, percentages, etc.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos, and write simple correspondence.
- Analytical- Synthesize complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Business Acumen- Understands business implications of decisions.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement of products for manufacturability.
- Knowledge of engineering fundaments, mechanical systems, automotive systems, and exhaust systems.
- Project Management- Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Strives to continuously improve expertise, knowledge and skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks smoothly in situations containing a moderate to high level of stress.
- Ability to maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Adaptability – Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- The ability to follow-up on projects and ensure all items are completed on time with all necessary data required and supporting documentation.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization' s goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Ability to be self-motivated and to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to effectively present information to customers, supplier, coworkers and management.
- Ability to maintain utmost confidentiality.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to work as a Team Member towards overall company objectives. Teamwork – Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Communicate and present proper information to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Customer Service – Ability to manage difficult customers Responds promptly to their needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Initiative- Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets other’ s attention.
- Interpersonal skills-Focuses on solving conflict.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions based on gathered facts; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process, Makes timely decisions.
- Leadership- Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Motivation- Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with dignity, respect and consideration.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- This position involves working indoors around mechanical and hazards, fumes, irritants, with exposure to cold, heat and high noise levels under adverse conditions While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles.
Sits: Frequently 2.5 - 5.5 hours daily
Stands: Frequently 2.5 - 5.5 hours daily
Walks: Frequently 2.5 - 5.5 hours daily
Drive: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Lift/Carry 0-10 lbs.: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Lift/Carry 10-20 lbs.: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Lift/Carry 20-50 lbs.: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Lift/Carry 50- over 100 lbs.: Never
Reach Above: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Bend/Stoop: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Use Hands for Pushing/Pulling: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Use Hands for Manipulations: Occasionally .25 - 2.5 hours daily
Stress Level of Job: Moderate